Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Big Five-O!!

Yesterday was mom's 50th birthday and I'm pretty sure we made it a good one. My dad was really sweet and tried very hard to surprise her with a nice gift this year. So, since her spare fridge in the garage had broken a few months ago he decided to surprise her with a new one. That's what she really wanted I think but we did a pretty good job of surprising her. I did all the dirty work so mom would have no idea. I made some phone calls, did some research, and went to the store to buy it. Then, I made my mom some sugar cookies and put wrapping paper and a huge bow on the fridge.

Looks like a huge present huh?

This is when she first came home and saw it in the garage.

She's enjoying one of the cookies I put inside the fridge.

Those are the cookies I made her. Clever, eh?

She's happily showing my dad the cookies and the wrapping paper since he was gone when they delivered the fridge and I got it all prepped. She was excited. It was fun!
That night my husband, Anna, my dad, and a bunch of my mom's friends all drove down to Glenns Ferry for a dinner theater show. There was a delicious steak dinner after which we saw a comedic show called "Let Him Sleep Til it's Time for His Funeral." Yeah, sounded weird but it ended up being all about this guy who was turning 50 and felt so old--the irony!! It was hilarious! All of my mom's friends were wondering if my dad had planned that out so well but we had no idea it was about turning 50. The theater is actually a really old opera theater and the actors are all volunteers so it has a really nice small town, down-home feel. They made us get up and sing "I've Been Workin on the Railroad" if ever the train went by because it was a tradition(if you don't know it's a tiny, tiny town and there is one train track in Glenns Ferry that cuts across the main road so if you're out driving when a train comes you're STUCK!!). I'm assuming it became a tradition because the tracks are right there so the train is so noisy the actors can't continue with the scene anyway. Also, during the preshow after dinner, the actors made sure to sing Happy Birthday to the audience members. So, my mom had to go up to the front and it was pretty funny. Karen ended up in the front also cause they asked for random birthdates throughout the year.

Mom & Karen being serenaded by the actors from the show.

The actor singing to her in this shot was making a big deal about mom and kept joking about taking her home with him. He was probably close to my age but his character in the play was in his 60's so he was making a big deal about "this young lady." Funny Stuff!

I love Karen's face when the main actor singled her out to sing just to her! Hilarious!
It was very fun and the show was very entertaining. I think my mom enjoyed it a lot so we were all happy.

Happy Birthday Mom You'll
Always be Young to Me!

No comments: